Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Kathy Wakile Speaks On Beauty, Parenting And Her Career As A Hair Dresser


ABeautyLoft.com:
Suburban moms take note. Real Housewives of New Jersey star, Kathy Wakile is raising Bravo TV’s housewife bar on and off camera. A glimpse into Kathy’s home during season four (her first season) revealed a normalcy viewers could relate to and a welcomed breath of fresh air compared to the opulence and chaos fans of the show are now accustomed to seeing. Along with husband Richie (dubbed the Lebanese Jeff Goldblum), Kathy managed to emerge unscathed from the Jersey drama—showcasing a passion for baking and raising teens Victoria and Joseph—reality TV’s most well behaved adolescents.


What many may not know, is that before Kathy was bitten by the Bravo bug, the beauty industry was her calling. A Beauty Loft caught up with Kathy to discuss everything from beauty to parenting!


We always see the RHONJ girls getting their makeup done on the show. Do you have your makeup done professionally every time you film or do you do it yourself sometimes?


It’s always a treat to have my makeup done professionally, but when we are just filming our daily routine, I do it myself. I am a licensed cosmetologist and worked in a salon for many years before I had my kids so I’m not a stranger to the world of beauty.


I’ve always enjoyed doing my own hair and makeup and loved doing it for others as well. However, when we are filming our one on one interviews and special events, I do have my makeup professionally done.


What’s your makeup routine when you aren’t filming?


When I’m not filming I try to wear as little makeup as possible, unless of course I’m out for an event or dinner. There are two things besides moisturizer that I most always wear and that’s under eye concealer and something on my lips.


Under eye concealer, because my eyes are so big & so is the area underneath, genetically that area tends to be a little darker than the rest of my complexion, so I like to brighten that area up.


Lipstick, gloss or lip balm, because It’s always a great look to see a bright shining smile (that’s one of the beauty tips I learned from my mom)!


HD TV isn’t the most flattering when it comes to imperfections. How do you keep your skin so flawless?


Well you’re very kind to say that, also very true HD TV is very unforgiving. I have to admit, I’ve always been very lucky. I can’t take all the credit for my complexion. My parents both had the most incredible skin, both texture and tone. However, since I was a kid probably about as early as 12 or 13 years old I have always taken very good care of my skin, cleansing my skin thoroughly twice a day, never going to bed with makeup on. Ever. Moisturizing and drinking tons and tons of water daily. Not smoking ever, has also helped. I will confess though, I’ve always been a sun worshipper


What are your must have makeup products?


My must have makeup products are:


Burt’s Bees medicated lip balm


Neutrogena – Norwegian formula hand cream


Neutrogena Body oil – light sesame formula


Aquaphor Healing ointment – advanced therapy (for everything)


MAC – Complete Comfort Cream facial moisturizer


MAC- Eye Cream


Laura Mercier – tinted moisturizer


Lancome Maquicomplet Concealer wand – Correcteur


Lancome Rouge Magnetic Lipstick – Sizzle (red)


Also was introduced to Kinerase Products from my friend Alyssa Shackil, owner of Blush Makeup Studio in Hawthorne. Alyssa, along with George Miguel, have done my makeup for RHONJ and other special events.


How long did you do hair?


I loved being a hairdresser. I started working in a salon as soon as I was allowed to. Just sweeping up, shampooing whatever I was permitted to do at an early age of 13 years old. I actually became a licensed hairdresser as soon as I graduated high school and worked up until I was 7 months pregnant with my daughter Victoria.


Do you do your own hair for the show?


It’s always very strange having my hair done. I prefer to do it myself, however I need to have it done for my one on one interviews. The cameras pick up every piece of fly away hair and so for those days I need another set of hands. I tend to like my hair messy and touchable, that look doesn’t read well on the interview set. My longtime girlfriend & former coworker Mina Terranova / L’egance Hair Salon in Totowa does my hair for those days.


What are some of your favorite hair products?


As a hairdresser you’d think that I would be obsessed with product, but I’m not. I use a few different products to achieve different things. My hair is naturally “BIG”, so I need to use product to tame it.


For my curly days when the humidity is high I use:


KMS – sculpting lotion


Joico – sculpting lotion


For my straight smooth days I use:


Chi – straight guard- smoothing styling cream, before I blow out my hair.


Also love Ecru products especially silk nectar serum for both curly & straight days.


Victoria, your daughter, always looks age appropriate when it comes to her makeup. Any tips for mothers on how to introduce makeup to a teenage daughter?


I remember when Victoria first started to show interest in wearing makeup we had a talk about makeup is supposed to enhance your natural beauty and not take away from it. I made a promise to her that I would allow her to wear makeup as long as she didn’t abuse it and as long as she took care of her skin. If we start with a clean palette we don’t really need too much to make our features stand out. Victoria is lucky to have big features so she doesn’t really need too much makeup. I’m very fortunate that she took


my advice and I’m always there to give her lessons or to do her makeup when she needs me. That also helps.


Besides RHONJ, is anything else in the works?


In December of 2011, I launched an artisan Jewelry line called “The Goddess Eye”. It’s my take on the “evil eye” I prefer to call it the Goddess eye because it’s supposed to be worn to empower those who wear it, a reminder that all of us possess goddess or godly like qualities, believing in those qualities enables us all to achieve our goals and do great things for one another. A portion of the proceeds from The Goddess Eye will be donated to The National Brain Tumor Society.


As you may or may not know Victoria had surgery for a benign brain tumor at the age of 10 years old, one of things that hinted to me there was something terribly wrong was the way her eyes looked. It makes sense that your eyes would be the gateway to what is happening in your brain.


We are so honored to announce that Victoria and I have been asked to be chairs of The National Brain Tumor Society walk for a cure. This is the 2nd annual walk to be held on Governor’s Island , NYC on June 16, 2012. You can go to http://www.braintumor.org to find out more info and how you can sign up to team “Victorious Angels”.
RELATED: Photos: 'Real Housewives' cast member Kathy Wakile at Cupid's Chase 5K

H/T: Renee @ ABeautyLoft

2 comments: