Saturday, July 27, 2013

Caroline Manzo Talks 'RHONJ' Retreat From Hell


HollywoodReporter.com:
The Gorga-Giudice retreat isn't going exactly as planned.

In the most recent episode of Bravo's The Real Housewives of New Jersey, viewers saw the long-running feud between the Gorgas and the Giudices get physical when brothers-in-law Joe Gorga and Joe Giudice got into an altercation during a retreat meant to bring peace to the family.

Toward the end of the episode, Teresa Giudice summoned Caroline Manzo to the Lake George, N.Y., location where relationship experts were trying (unsuccessfully) to help the family work through their issues. It ended with Joe Gorga and his sister, Teresa, breaking down in tears while being counseled by Dr. Venus Nicolino.

Ahead of Sunday's upcoming episode, Manzo talked to The Hollywood Reporter about what's ahead for the Gorgas and Giudices and previewed another big trip for the cast.

The Hollywood Reporter: What was going through your mind when you got the call from Teresa?
Caroline Manzo: It was shock. I certainly didn't expect to hear from anyone. I expected to hear stories afterward. I was very surprised to hear from Teresa. As I mentioned on the show, for her to call me, I knew there had to be a crisis mode going on. She's a strong girl and doesn't usually ask for help. I knew something was up.

THR: How long did it take for you to make up your mind to go?
Manzo: I had a conversation with my husband, but it happened very quickly. She called me very early in the morning, and I was in Lake George by 10:30 in the morning. It's a four-hour drive. The bottom line is, I made a promise to both Teresa and Joe that I would be there for them. If they needed me, good or bad, I've got to help.

THR: Were you surprised that the fight between the two Joes got physical?
Manzo: Yes. It's something you don't necessarily expect when gathering with your friends and family. I'm sure it was a surprise for them as well. It's not something on your agenda. I don't think anybody expected that.

THR: Once you got up there, Dr. V had already arrived. Were you able to do much to help?
Manzo: For me, I felt that once Dr. V was there -- I think all I will say is that I was very pleasantly surprised when I got there, and my role kind of shifted in my mind once I got there. I won't say how.

THR: Do you think Teresa and her brother truly want to make amends?
Manzo: There is no denying how much they love each other, but they are both very, very stubborn. The two of them -- they have the same mentality that: "You have to give." "No, I don't have to give, you do." In order to make it work, somebody has to give. They do love each other very much, but you have to remember, this is a few years' worth of estrangement, if you will. And to some degree, within a couple of years, beyond what is said and done to each other, there is a trickle-down effect on so many other people. The hurt is very deep; it's not going to be an easy fix. It will take a lot more than what you've seen already, and you do see a lot of that happen as the season continues. This is not over yet; there is plenty more.

THR: Earlier in the season, you reached out to Joe Gorga, prompting his wife, Melissa, to confess to Joe that she was annoyed that you hadn't reached out to her as well. Have you discussed that with her?
Manzo: I haven't talked to her about it, but I was very surprised and a little hurt, without a doubt. My intentions were pure and good. Over the past couple of years, it's always been made very clear that Melissa said she wants to be kept out of it: "Teresa and Joe, keep me out of it." I met with Joe and didn't involve her out of respect to her feelings of not wanting to be part of it. When she said that, I was kind of taken aback. I'm not going to lie. It definitely hurt my feelings, but it's one of those things; point taken.

THR: Was it hard for you not to take sides in all this?
Manzo: Last year, it certainly was hard. I think obviously my attitude showed, but after a while, when you sit down and start to think and pull yourself out of it and look at it for what it is, you see things differently and realize you're a part of the problem and not part of the solution. Once I came to that realization, I took a step back and decided to be part of the solution rather than the problem.
RELATED:  Caroline Manzo Was Surprised to Get a Call From Teresa Giudice

No comments:

Post a Comment