Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jennifer Gilbert's Guide To Tribeca - TriBurbia


I've lived in NYC all my life and have never heard anyone refer to Tribeca as "TriBurbia", but whatever:

First Impressions to Loving TriBeCa
I moved to TriBeCa when I was eight-and-a-half months pregnant with my daughter exactly six years ago in 2004.  We knew we wanted to move downtown and we were looking for a loft type apartment in a neighborhood that was relaxed, kid friendly, and had great food and services. I had wanted the West Village and when my husband showed me TriBeCa, I said ‘where are all the people?’ 

Six months later I loved it so much I moved my office a block away and barely go above Canal Street anymore! I think TriBeCa has a very different vibe than any other neighborhood in New York City. We call it Triburbia, it’s a neighborhood. We know all of our neighbors in different buildings and streets, everyone says hello to each other, and the bakery knows how you like your coffee. It feels very suburban and friendly, just in downtown.

The Changing Landscape of TriBeCa
In the last six years, TriBeCa has changed drastically. Tribeca was always known for very industrial buildings with artists and printing companies. There are still some of those buildings and galleries around, but the number of kid-friendly restaurants, buildings and parks that have been developed are amazing. The development of the West Side Highway and the new pier, which is a kids pier with beach volleyball, mini golf and a rock climbing wall is amazing. They have also built three new elementary schools for all the families moving downtown. They have also repaved all of the streets in the neighborhood in the original look of cobblestones and makes it very charming – hard to walk in high heels – but charming.

TriBeCa has always had small, family run and owned stores and pharmacies. In the past five years, we have had our first Duane Read move in, a whole foods and a Bed, Bath & Beyond.  While these are great conveniences and have helped the influx of people, it has been very sad to see local smaller single store companies go out of business. There has to be a way of protecting some of the pioneers of the neighborhood.

Places I Love: TriBeCa's Best Stores, Restaurants, Bars & More
Last year I was the event planner on the cast of the Real housewives of New York. I loved that they came down and filmed in my apartment. It was totally different than the other Upper East Side homes that they typically show. I was happy to highlight TriBeCa. I also represent over 2,200 event locations in and around NYC. As of right now, my favorite spot is Tribeca Rooftop with amazing views of NYC, the Hudson River, and their outstanding rooftop for the perfect spot for a party or wedding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment