Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dina Manzo Talks Leaving 'Housewives' to Help Children With Cancer


Parentdish.com:
Dina Manzo is no ordinary housewife.


The "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star found fame as cameras followed her life, but she decided to step away from the hit Bravo series during its second season. Now she's using her notoriety to launch Project Ladybug, a new initiative to provide resources to seriously ill pediatric patients and their families as they face lengthy treatment regimens.


Manzo has a 14-year-old daughter, Lexi, from her first marriage, and she is now married to Tommy Manzo (the couple tied the knot in 2006 on VH1's "My Big Fat Fabulous Wedding.") ParentDish recently sat down with Manzo, 39, who told us why helping others has become her purpose in life.


Parent Dish: How and why did you start Project Ladybug?
Dina Manzo: My dad was always a big supporter of St. Jude. I remember seeing all of these plaques from Marlo Thomas all over my house. When I was young, it was my dad who taught me about giving back even when times were tough. As I grew older and became an event planner I began thinking, "Hey, I can throw a party for a great cause."


PD: Why use a ladybug as a symbol?
DM: I have always had a little something for ladybugs and every time something special in my life happened I always saw a ladybug. The only time I didn't see one was after my daughter, Lexi, was born and that's when I knew Lexi was my ladybug and I started calling her that as her nickname.


PD: So, that's how you came up with the name for your charity?
DM: Actually, the name was Lexi's idea. I was scratching my head trying to come up with a name and Lexi was like, "Ma, Ladybug!"


PD: What is the mission of Project Ladybug?
DM: Our goal is to create a positive environment while the children are being treated. We do everything from decorating the hallways, the treatment rooms and, at our New Jersey chapter, we are raising funds for a rooftop playground. We also do everything we can to keep a smile on these children's faces, such as getting laptop computers so they can be home schooled, purchase their wigs or throw them a holiday party. If we keep their mindset positive while they are in treatment, their outcome will be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment