Wednesday, September 27, 2017

How Roxy Earle Became an Unexpected Body-Positive Advocate for Women of Every Size


BRIT+CO.com:
It’s hard to believe, but since the Real Housewives franchise launched on Bravo in 2006 with its Orange County series, there has never been a plus-size housewife — that is, until now. When last season’s teaser of the spin-off Toronto series was released and featured a visibly plus-size cast member, many folks took notice both offline and online.

Meet Roxy Earle: the fabulous housewife of Toronto. Throughout the show’s first season, Earle took to her Instagram accountwhere she became an unexpected voice of inspiration for women of all shapes and sizes to embrace their bodies. When we sat down with Earle at the Instagram Uncovered body positivity summit in Toronto, she shared with Brit + Co that, while she was a prior fan of the Housewives brand, she was mostly invested in joining the series as a way of fighting for better representation of diverse bodies. 

“When I was growing up, I didn’t have someone [in media] I could identify with,” Earle said. “I think it’s great that young girls and women can see people in the media now that looks like them and they can identify with that. It feels good that I can represent for those who perhaps don’t feel represented.”

Since appearing on the show, Earle has started a hashtag campaign called #MySizeRoxa response to body shamers and people who have a limited ideal of what beauty is. “I stopped listening to what other people thought I should be and just started being myself and started truly loving myself. Through #MySizeRox, I hope to encourage people of all sizes to feel comfortable and confident in their own skin, at whatever size they are.” 
RELATED:  Welcome to the Beauty Sessions, conversations in the makeup chair with Toronto’s best-dressed women

No comments:

Post a Comment