Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ramona Singer Talks Abusive Past


OKmagazine.com:
Just because Real Housewives of NYC star Ramona Singer has a booming business and hit reality show doesn’t mean she grew up privileged.


Although the Hamptons native, 54, is now married to hubby Mario and mom to daughter Avery, 16, she is haunted by memories of a rough upbringing.


“I’m a self-made woman,” she tells me. “I was a victim of abuse. I saw my mother get the s*** beat out of her. I’d have to call the police. My father had a drinking problem, and I was on my own since 16. I put myself through college.”


Her mom urged her to make different choices than she did.


“My mother said ‘don’t end up like me.’ I’d go ‘Mommy, why don’t you leave Daddy?’ She said ‘honey, I don’t have a college education, I never got a career, I have four kids. Please don’t make the same mistake. Have a career, and whoever you marry, make sure you’re always making your own money, because that will give you strength – God forbid something goes wrong – and they’ll respect you more.’”


She adds, “My mother always said ‘make sure whatever you do in your career, love what you do. I’ll scrub toilets for you if I have to, because I want you to tell me what you want and make sure you love it.’ I’ve always loved business, and I’ve always loved fashion. I started in clothing, and went on to jewelry and skincare. I love Pinot Grigio, so I did Pinot Grigio. Do what you love!”


When she was a young adult, her past influenced her ability to commit.


“I would go from relationship to relationship, but I was scared to get married. I never had a problem meeting men and dating men and having relationships, but I was scared to death to get married.”


Ramona immediately knew her husband was right for her.


“The number one thing in any relationship is trust, and when we were dating, I knew I could trust him completely, and my husband – imagine him 15-20 years ago. He’s handsome now, but he was drop-dead gorgeous, and women would swarm all over him. I knew I could trust him every step of the way. We had great communication with each other, and we thought alike. We thought alike, and we got along. I enjoy his company, and he respects me as a businesswoman. He treats me as his equal.”
RELATED: Ramona Singer reveals she may be pregnant at 53

1 comment:

  1. I love Ramona; she can be a ditz, but I like her genuine kindness and good spirits. She's got a lot of positive energy that too many of the other, neurotic, insincere, and untalented housewives lack entirely. I wish her nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete